this is an old UFO (err… ~unfinished object~, to all you non-sewers) that i’ve been sitting on for about 2 months now. it was nearly finished – all that was left was to stitch down the neckline binding & hem the skirt. instead, i let it hang in the corner of shame in my sewing room because i was irritated with how it looked on me. i am still kind of angsty about the way it looks, but whatever, it’s done & i can move on to greener pastures.
i used a lovely lightweight red gingham seersucker. the seams are bound with lipstick red rayon seam binding & the bertha is interfaced with a piece of lightweight muslin. the zipper is a couple firsts – my first handpicked zipper, my first vintage-style side seam zipper, and my first attempt (that turned out perfect!) :) i used a vintage metal zipper that i had in my stash. i ended up making a quite a few changes to the pattern… a FBA, chopping out 9″ of the skirt length, and pinching out bunches of ease. i still have a bit of ease that needs to be taken in at the center front seam; the top is still loose & the bertha keeps sliding off my shoulders :( i had to pin the shoulders to my bra straps for now. thank goodness for safety pins!
i’m still not entirely pleased with this dress… i can’t decide if it’s flattering on me. that would be the #1 reason why i hung it up and stashed it in the corner of shame for 2 months. i feel like i don’t look very good in dresses that don’t have a separate midriff piece. maybe that’s just me? what does the internet think? yay or nay? i do looove the fabric though. mmm seersucker.
i did make a matching belt to compensate for the lack of midriff seams. i used tilly’s bow belt tutorial, except i cut it on the bias and i used a piece of belting instead of interfacing. holy crap, i love belting – it doesn’t roll at all! the fabric i used is the same red cotton gingham from my ironing board cover :3 yes, it’s quilting cotton. whatever, it’s a belt. maybe gingham + gingham is a little too much for one dress, but i *am* wearing a bertha sooo.
ok, pictures! lots of pictures!
and some detail shots…
3″ hem tacked down with lace… if this lace looks familiar, it’s because i also used it on the ceylon dress. and i still have more! 10 yards for $1, yo!