this is simplicity 3673. normally, i’m not a big fan of simplicity patterns (their sizing is always a little off – more on that later), but i like this vintage reissue from the 50s. i also had this fabric:
that i bought at a yard sale for $1. paired up with a vintage zipper from my stash (i always buy them for pennies at the thrift store, and i actually had one on hand that was the correct length AND color… pretty convenient!), this dress was super cheap/easy to make.
like i said, the sizing was a little off… when i make my patterns, i size mine based on the measurements on the pattern tissue, not the pattern envelope. some patterns (like, ahem, this simplicity pattern) will not mention the included amount of ease – for this particular pattern, it was 4″! yikes! (non-sewers: ease is the amount of “space” in a garment beyond body measurements. for the record, for my fitted garments, i prefer about 0.5″ to 1″ of ease). the pattern tissue will generally provide the finished measurements – ease included – for the bust, hips, and waist. i find it much easier to sew that way than to cut something too big and spend hours trying to alter it down (or worse… cut something too small that doesn’t fit :’( been there, done that, hate it). however, apart from the sizing – which was easily fixed by cutting down a couple sizes – this pattern was easy peasy! there are only 4 pattern pieces, not counting the attached belt. the waistline shaping comes from 8 darts around the middle. that’s it! had i not spent over an hour trying to figure out how to use the blind hem on my machine, this dress would have taken me less than 2 hours total.
i really did try to match the plaid up on this, but the plaid design is so large, i eventually gave up and figured it’s good enough for a $2 dress. i think the black bow/belt in the middle helps break up the plaidness.